According to psychiatrist Dr. Judith Orloff, there is an epidemic of low energy and exhaustion felt by intuitive empaths.
An intuitive empath is an individual who is highly sensitive and tunes in extra-strength to the emotions of others. As a result, it’s easy to become overly engaged or overwhelmed.
Dr. Orloff is often asked for advice on how people can stop absorbing the negative energy of other people. She’s developed a short checklist of self-love and mindfulness techniques she readily encourages empaths to employ.
Signs of an Intuitive Empath
A few questions to ask yourself when determining whether or not you are an empath include:
- Have you been labeled “highly sensitive” by family and friends over the course of your life?
- Do you prefer to recharge your energy levels by yourself rather than with others?
- are you sensitive to smells, excessive talking, or loud sounds?
- do you prefer to drive yourself to ensure you have a means of leaving quickly if you feel necessary?
Dr. Orloff, an empath herself, recognizes the derogatory context of being labeled “highly sensitive,” but ensures that being an empath is a positive thing. While an influx of negative emotions from others can leave an empath feeling exhausted and overwhelmed, being surrounded by positive energy and feelings boosts the peace and love felt by an empath. What’s needed is a guide for empath’s to protect themselves from the negative energy of “energy vampires.”
How an Empath Can Protect His/Her Energy
There are three basic but fundamental things an empath can do to protect his or herself from negative energy. They are:
- practicing breathing techniques to breathe out negative energy from overly stimulating or less sensitive people;
- practicing meditation by sitting quietly for three minutes and centering one’s self and pushing negative energy out of the system; and
- setting firm but kind boundaries with people to avoid being “walked on” by others or left feeling overwhelmed.
Dr. Orloff assures empaths that by following these simple self-love and mindfulness techniques, the preservation of positive energy can be had.
Psychiatrist & Empath Dr. Judith Orloff
Author of several bestselling books—including Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life (Three Rivers Press), Guide to Intuitive Healing: 5 Steps to Physical, Emotional, and Sexual Wellness (Three Rivers Press), Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear into Vibrance, Strength, and Love (Three Rivers Press), and Second Sight: An Intuitive Psychiatrist Tells Her Extraordinary Story and Shows You How To Tap Your Own Inner Wisdom (Three Rivers Press)—Dr. Orloff also blogs for The Huffington Post and Psychology Today. She is a well-respected psychiatrist who blends the fields of intuition and energy medicine with modern psychiatry in order to have a more holistic perspective to one’s wellbeing.
As a strong advocate for the interconnection between physical, emotional, and spiritual health, Dr. Orloff offers a free newsletter called Emotional Freedom & Intuition through her website [drjudithorloff.com]. Her wisdom on intuition and emotional health can also be experienced through her YouTube channel.
Watch The Empath’s Survival Guide: Dr. Orloff on Empathy & empaths: