There are so many different types of abuse.
Abuse happens throughout the world: to women, men, children, animals, and even the environment.
We dedicate this page to supporting healing all aspects of abuse throughout the world.
If you know of someone who works with people who have been abused, please forward this page to them if you feel they could benefit from some online relationship help.
The following links provide relationship advice, suggestions, insights, and tools to help those affected by relationship challenges. Alana’s answers are to questions from people in challenging and abusive relationships. We feel the information shared on conflict resolution may help shed some light on how a person may move towards more balance and peace while engaging in difficult relationships.
Through our work with Alana since 1992, we have been shown that the first step to healing is self-love. By giving ourselves love and compassion, we are then able to extend that same love to others. We are really all in this world together, and what we do to another, we are also doing to ourselves.
The following are questions submitted to Alana and her answers. When you click on the question, you will be taken to a page, where you can read the transcribed answer.
- My boyfriend and I have been having a lot of problems with our relationship. He has physically abused me twice in one month. He currently lives with me and I have asked him to leave. I want to know if I have made the right decision concerning this matter.
- I have been in an emotionally abusive marriage for 25 years. I have tried to make it work, but after all this time I am giving up. Meanwhile, I have met this wonderful young man who has helped me through all this. Because I haven’t left yet, my friend will no longer talk to me.
- I have a really difficult time with my parents. My Mum in particular. They are both alcoholics. I feel as though I am lecturing her all the time. How can I stop being so abusive to her even though I am so angry?
- What is the best way to handle the increasing rudeness, aggressiveness in the name of assertiveness, putdowns, and plays for power in our society? I realize that we are mirrors of our surroundings and relationships and I have tried to increase my own feelings of self-worth. Please advise what else I can do.
- I have been married to my husband for 11 years, for 6 of them, he was abusive. When I was ready to walk out, he told me he had a problem and needed help. My heart was already in the hands of another man. I thought he really loved me…Why won’t my subconscious let go of something that was so destructive to me?
- I’m sick of being a backstabbed. An ex-friend, or so it seems she is to me, has been talking about me behind my back and just been flat out hurtful.
- How can I learn to deal with my anger and hatred towards my parents and be peaceful and happy? I really need this help because the anger is sometimes all-consuming.
- How do I speak directly to a person who is physically, emotionally, and mentally abusive to her children?